Student Online Services Activation for Incoming Students
The information below is a verbal description of what you need to do to activate your access to online Williams services. The link provided at the bottom of the screen is a pdf of screenshots of what you can expect to see when doing this process, with the instructions repeated.
When you complete this, you will have access to the Williams student record system, Williams Google Apps for Education and many other online services.
Here’s some terminology used in this document:
Williams Student Record System ID: This is used to access the student records system, where you can register for classes and complete important first year registration forms, such as housing preferences, and access other administrative systems. It has a format of the letter ‘W’ plus 7 digits. ex. W1234567. This can also be referred to as a ‘Williams ID’ during your Williams career.
Williams Network ID: This is used to access the Williams network and online services, many of which are listed near the end of this document. This is built from your initials, followed by a number ex: abc1.
1. The Deans Office will send you your Student System ID via introductory email to your home email that you have used to correspond with the college. The Student System ID is in the format of the letter ‘W’ plus 7 digits. Ex. “W1234567”
2. Using a web browser, go to https://sarah.williams.edu (Williams Student Records)
- Click Reset My Password.
- Enter your Student System ID in the User ID field and Click Continue.
- Enter your birthday as the password hint answer. Make sure it is in the format mmddyyyy.
- Click Email New Password.
- Close your browser window. Make sure to close it!
3. Wait for the email to arrive in your home email address inbox with the new password. This should take less than a minute, but allow up to 15 minutes before trying again to allow for email delivery delays.
4. Open a new browser window, and log in to sarah.williams.edu
- Enter your Student System ID and the new password from your email (Copy/Paste is easiest).
- You will see a message saying “Your password has expired.” Click on the hyperlink “Click here to change your password”
- On the password change screen, enter the temporary password from your email, then enter in a new password of your choice in the last two fields. Click the yellow “Change Password” when ready. You should see a password saved confirmation message. Click OK on the message.
- After changing your password, complete the Activity Guide in Peoplesoft.
- After clicking, you will see a confirmation message with the email, password and username displayed. Click OK.
5. Go to https://pchanger.williams.edu. Using the Williams network ID and password in the last step, change your password to something you prefer. Before reaching the actual change page, you will see the password strength page which will give you tips on setting a secure password.
Note: If you have just changed your password using pchanger, allow up to 15 minutes for the change to take place.
6. For email, go to http://email.williams.edu. Since Williams uses a Google email domain, you can also access this through gmail via Google.com.
Make sure to use your Williams network ID ([email protected]) instead of your long email name ([email protected]). Both can be used to send you email, but you must use the Williams network ID to sign on.
Note: If you go to google.com or email.williams.edu you may find that you are already signed in to a personal gmail account. You can either sign out of the personal email and then into the Williams email, or you can simply sign in to the Williams email and have both email accounts available simultaneously. From the gmail interface select your account name on the far right, from the down arrow choose “add account”. Detailed instructions can be found at: http://oit.williams.edu/files/2014/03/2-Gmail-using-multiple-google-accounts.pdf
Still have questions? Email [email protected]